This half term our topic is
During our shops topic, the children will be able to play in various shop/market role play areas, using tills, trolleys, baskets, play food and money. First of all we will set up our own toy shop and then a shoe shop inside. Outside, we will build a bakery role play area and then a fruit and vegetable stall. Activities this half term will include designing their own cereals, making cards, celebrating Holi, creating shoes and enjoying an Easter egg hunt.
At home, you could follow up our nursery activities by:
- Playing shops at home, letting your child handle real money and talking about which coins are which. They could ‘pay’ using 1p coins (4 pennies for 4p, 9 for 9p etc.)
- Pointing out labels/signs e.g. ‘McDonalds’, Tesco, ‘open/closed’, ‘sale’, ‘P’ for parking, Weetabix etc.
- Writing and reading shopping lists together.
- Helping them to create their own food e.g. pizza toppings, fruit smoothies.
- Involving them in buying products in shops, handling money and spotting numbers on price tags.
- Talking about different types of shops as you visit them e.g. bakers, clothes shop, book shop.
Nursery dates for this half term
- Monday 25th February – Back to school
- Monday 4th- 8th March – Show and Tell week (children will be asked to bring in a favourite book from home to talk about)
- Friday 8th March – Dress as a book character for an assembly and competition. The whole school joins in with this wearing a wide range of bought and homemade costumes – it is great when the children can help to make props and accessories!
- Friday 5th April – End of term – Nursery finish at normal time.
- Tuesday 23rd April – Back to school.
- Thursday 25th April – Class photographs